Make Moves: The Park Bench Workout
Sometimes the gym is the last place we want to be, no matter how motivated we are to break a sweat. When given the choice, we much prefer to make moves outdoors. There's a Spartan appeal to choosing the trail over the treadmill and utilizing everyday objects as exercise machines. With that in mind, we asked Myles Man Tom Hamdani, co-owner and coach at CrossFit Alinea, to design this full-body workout, which can be done anywhere there's a bench or ledge.
• A bench or ledge
• A timer (we recommend the Interval Timer app)
Complete as many repetitions as possible of each exercise in 1 minute. Complete the circuit 3-5 times, resting 1 minute between each circuit.
1. Explosive Step-Ups
- Place entire foot on bench
- Explode up, catch some air, and land on opposite foot
- Repeat back and forth while keeping feet flat on the bench and ground
Coach's Note: "Make sure to stand up straight when you step up. You want full range of motion in your hips."
2. Wall Sit
- Push back against back or side of the bench, or a nearby wall or tree
- Keep hips and knees at the same with thighs parallel to the ground
- Hold for as much of the minute as you can
Coach's Note: "This is a classic isometric exercise that builds thigh strength."
3. Plank Walk
- Place feet on bench with hands on the ground
- Tighten core to keep heels, hips, and head in a straight line
- Lift your right hand and right foot at the same time to "walk" toward the other end of the bench
Coach's Note: "Focus on resisting the twisting motion created when you pick your hand and foot up."